This Chapel is the third on the right from the entrance.
Designed by Guarino Guarini, the chapel was built under the patronage of Princess Ludovica of Savoy, sister of Charles Emmanuel lI, in memory of her husband, Maurice of Savoy, who died in 1675, shortly after their marriage.
Outside the chapel, a heralding angel bears a standard announcing: IMMACULATE MADONNA. 12 May 1680, consecration of the church, first Mass celebrated by Guarino Guarini, two centuries before the proclamation of the dogma of faith (Pius IX, 8 December 1854).
A reflection: Christians have always believed that Mary was conceived without sin.
The altar-piece, by the Bolognese artist Domenico Maria Muratori, shows the Virgin surrounded by the blessed of the House of Savoy (Amadeus IX, Sister Margaret, Humbert, who lived in the XIV-XV centuries).
In the small marble altar-piece at the foot of the altar, there are the wonderful polychrome united coats-of-arms of the two Sabaudian houses of Ludovica and Maurice, a love beyond death.
There are statues at the side of the chapel:
St. Francesco Saverio (left), Jesuit missionary in the Far East.
When sunlight passes through this, it illuminates the fresco of God the Father blessing the world in His hand.
The phenomenon can be seen for a few minutes at midday in the days around the spring and autumn equinoxes.
In the early morning during the same periods of the year, the same effect can be seen above the other two lateral altars of the Nativity and the Crucifix.